Friday, March 20, 2009

The First Day of Spring

Wow -- it's been a long winter! Everyone keeps reminding me that this was one of the worst winters we've had in a long time. I guess since it's my first winter back in Northern Minnesota after living in California for so many years, they're thinking I might be ready to pack up and head West! But I wouldn't miss spring for anything. There's so much hope that the long cold days will be soon over and green things will start appearing. I've had a few seedlings growing in the window for a few weeks now. Just smelling the warm soil makes me think of summer days and digging in the garden.

If we get a good growing season this year, I'm hoping to have a big garden. The Gurney seed order arrived the other day and I'm chomping at the bit to get things started. I ordered some raspberry plants too, but they won't arrive for a few more weeks, but the squash seeds I started are doing well. It's amazing how fast they popped up. I'm working on a greenhouse in the backyard too. I'll post some pictures of it soon.

Norwegian word of the day: hage (garden)

No comments: