Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Making Lefse

With the temperature still in the low 20's, it feels more like winter than spring. So it's a perfect day to make some lefse. My friend Cori in California is chomping to get some, but the problem with shipping lefse that far is it usually gets moldy by the time it gets there.

Today, I'm going to experiment with a couple of strategies. The first is using a vacuum sealer to remove the air before shipping it. I've heard that if you're not careful you'll end up with just a sticky clump instead of thin individual sheets, so I'm thinking I'll try putting parchment paper between each sheet of lefse before sealing it.

The second idea to prevent mold is to use a little ascorbic acid (aka vitamin C). It's supposed to inhibit mold in bread, so I'm thinking it might work in lefse too. (I also checked out the label of that horrible lefse they sell in the grocery store -- the kind that sits on the shelf for months and has the texture of shoe leather) and they also list ascorbic acid on the label. I just hope that's not the reason their lefse becomes shoe leather. We'll see. 

By the way, WHO is buying that horrible lefse in the store? Someone must be because it's there -- or maybe it's the same package that's been there since I was 5 years old -- who knows. If you've ever had real, homemade lefse, you'd know that the processed stuff isn't even close. OK, time to get off my soap box and start boiling potatoes. I'll have more updates as the day goes on.

No comments: